Thursday 30 October 2014

Rimmel Apocalips Lip Velvets.



























Rimmel's new release really sparked my interest and I couldn't wait to try them out, a new Rimmel Apocalips but instead of a glossy lacquer this time the promise of a velvet matte finish. Now I love a matte lip and have recently been loving all the new matte liquid lipstick offering from many brands such as the Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvets.

Now the shade range is limited with only 5 shades including nudes, pinks but to be honest I was only interested in the bolder more autumnal shades....and boy look at them! The two I picked up are so perfect for the season a deep plum called 'Meteoric Matte' and a rich pillar box red called 'Burning Lava'. Unlike the original Apocalips lacquers which were very difficult to apply, ridiculously messy and bleeds like a bitch these are a much different kettle of fish.

Ok so starting off with the pigmentation and as you can see from the above swatches they are bold, dramatic and wonderfully opaque....no problems there. I still find them a little messy to apply but no where near as bad as the lacquers, perhaps the doe foot applicator picks up too much product as I find I have to scrape off as much product as possible to gain a bit more control.

On first application one thing I did notice was that if your lips are not exfoliated it will cling to every little dry patch or uneven surface. These liquid lipsticks do feel very smooth to apply but don't ever seem to set fully dry which means they do not give a completely velvet looking finish which is quite misleading. Although I wouldn't call them a true matte lipstick, more of a satin finish they are very comfortable to wear but a little susceptible to smudging.

The wear time is very good, not so long as the Rouge Editions Velvets or the Maybelline Colour Drama Velvet pencils (read my review here) but still a lot longer then your average lipstick. Overall although it does have its flaws the new Rimmel Apocalips offering particularly these two colours give a pretty impressive bold lip perfect for the winter months.      

Thank you for reading.

LouLouLoves.

No comments:

Post a Comment