Saturday 22 March 2014

Green Smoothie Detox.

Recently I've been hearing so much about juice detox diets and green smoothies, It must be a bit of a fad in the dieting world right now. I love smoothies but always worry about the high sugar content of blended fruit, I have never even tried blended vegetables before. When I went to London last weekend out of curiosity and after hearing so much about them I tried a green smoothie from Pure which is just off Shaftsbury Avenue. It was so tasty, you couldn't even tell it was blended vegetables only by the colour, what a great and easy way of ingesting a ton of nutrients.

After noting down what was in that particular smoothie I knew I wanted to try an recreate it at home. So hears what you need:

  • Kale.
  • Spinach. 
  • Avocado. 
  • Apple.
  • Mint. 
  • Apple juice.    
























Wash the spinach and kale, remove the skin and pip of the avocado and peal the apples remove the core and slice. Once all your vegetables are prepped bung it all in a blender with some mint leaves and about a glass of apple juice. 


Quantities do not have to be exact, I usually do equal amounts of kale and spinach around about a large handful of each, 1/2 an avocado, 2 small apples and 1/2 a handful of fresh mint leaves. This makes quite a large quantity around 4 servings, I like to keep a bottle full in the fridge to decant as and when I like it and will keep for 2 days. 


























Blend all the ingredients until as smooth as possible, the apple juice keeps it nice and sweet whilst the avocado creates a slightly thick and creamy texture and the mint gives a lovely fresh flavour. I transfer the mixture into a Weck jar and refrigerate, it tastes even nicer when its cold.

This smoothie would be great for anyone who needs a boost of Iron, even my 2 year old loves it and calls it a slime smoothie, what an inventive way of getting your kids to eat their greens! 

I am going to try the 3 day green smoothie detox which involves having one for breakfast, a small Paleo lunch of meat, eggs or vegetables (no processed foods or dairy) for instance today I had soft boiled eggs and steamed asparagus. Followed by a healthy Paleo dinner, tonight I'm having paprika chicken with vegetables and sweet potato. This point of this detox is to flush toxins out the body and replacing them with lots of nutrients, making you feel more energetic and less sluggish. 

I will let you know how it goes! 

Thank you for reading.

Loulou.        


No comments:

Post a Comment